Thursday, August 4, 2016

The 15 Minute Timer and The 5 Minute Timer

Last time I told you about a friend of mine years ago introduced me to the FlyLady by letting me borrow her book, "Sink Reflections." This book helped me multiple ways.
Here is the second way...
2. The timer

      As I mentioned in my prior post, I have ADHD, and I'm easily overwhelmed by large tasks.  The 15 minute timer became my friend.  I could do anything for 15 minutes and was shocked to find out what I could accomplish in 15 minutes.  I'm most successful, when I use the 15 minute timer and 5 minute timer. Let me explain. 

A.  The 15 minute Timer

     If I have a task before me, let's face it, when do I not have one before me?  I digress.  If I have a task before me, I set a timer for 15 minutes. During that 15 minutes, I work on that task.  Nothing is allowed to distract me (see side note below for mothers and fathers), and I am to work on that task and that task alone non stop for 15 minutes.   

    Side note for mothers and fathers: OK, if I had kids and a crying baby, that would be an exception to allowing myself to get distracted...but I started this as a single woman and do this now as a married woman with no kids.  So I have a little bit more control on this.  My recommendation for those of you who have children is to tell them that mom or dad will be available in "__" (fill in the blank with how many minutes left on your timer) to answer their question or help them or whatever is needed.  If it is a baby, then use your best judgement on how to handle.

    B. The 5 minute Timer
  
    So this is my FAVORITE Timer!  If you are like me, you have things you want to do, but you feel guilty about doing it because of all of the things that need doing.  This timer is GUILT FREE time to do whatever, within reason, I want to do!!!! Want to read a book, watch TV (or the more modern stream something online), work on a hobby, peruse Facebook, go for it!  It is your time. You earned it with working during the 15 minute timer.  

    How it works:
    Now when my buzzer goes off, I have a decision to make.  I can go take my 5 minute break now guilt free or, if I'm on a roll and want to, I can keep working.  When I'm ready to take a break, I can now take a break for longer.  For example, if I worked non stop for 30 minutes, I can now take a 10 minute break.  Make sense?

    Basically, the 15 minute timer is a minimum timer...it is the minimum amount of time that I have to work for.  The 5 minute timer is a maximum timer...it is the maximum amount of time that I can take a break, unless I worked 30 minutes or more as explained above.

     Side note for mothers and fathers: I would also expand my "break" time so that you have 5 or 10 minutes to deal with the children's needs and then 5 minutes to be your break.

No comments:

Post a Comment